Thursday, September 22, 2011

Director Jose Padilha Talks ROBOCOP Remake!

When MGM announced the public that a remake of ROBOCOP is greenlighted, I was pretty skeptical at first. I mean, a Robocop who wears heavy armored suit and armed himself a pistol is soooo yesterday by today's standard. However, director Jose Padilha, who has signed on to direct the remake after original director Darren Aronofsky bowed out, thinks it's the right time to remake ROBOCOP. Here's what he had to say below.

I love the sharpness and political tone of RoboCop, and I think that such a film is now urgently needed. But I will not repeat what Verhoeven has done so clearly and strongly. Instead I try to make a film that will address topics that Verhoeven untreated. If you are a man changes into a robot, how do you do that? What is the difference between humans and robots developed? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the issues that I think.

Hmm... that is an interesting question Padilha had in mind for now. Here's hoping that he is able to make his own gritty version of a new ROBOCOP movie in the coming future.