Wednesday, September 14, 2011

INFERNAL AFFAIRS Screenwriter Alan Mak Has Something To Say About THE DEPARTED Sequel!


No doubt Andrew Lau's INFERNAL AFFAIRS (2002) was a phenomenal box-office success in Hong Kong, spawning countless imitations until now. Of course, part of the success owed much to screenwriters duo of Felix Chong and Alan Mak as well. In fact, the movie was so popular that legendary director Martin Scorcese had remake it into THE DEPARTED (2006), a genre masterpiece that also finally earned him an Oscar for Best Director.

While INFERNAL AFFAIRS has spawned two more sequels, there's been speculation of possible sequel for THE DEPARTED. Now Alan Mak himself finally responded about it.

Not yet. Some of the American companies have been approaching me to maybe make a movie in America, but it's difficult for me. Because for director, you don't understand the culture. And English is not my mother language, so it's difficult for me to make something like that. But for the remake of another movie [of mine], I think it will happen soon.

As for whether Martin Scorcese will return for the sequel or not, here's what he had to say:

I really don't know. I really don't know.

Alternatively, you can watch his interview video right below.


So, what do you think? Is it really necessary that THE DEPARTED should deserve a sequel?